Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

She has developed some sort of canker sore in the corner of

Customer Question

she has developed some sort of canker sore in the corner of her outside mouth and it is growing larger. When I first saw it, it was small.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Lemondrop. She is almost a year old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lemondrop?
Customer: she has always been special needs. She is blind in one eye, she developed that about 3 months ago. Im wondering if she has some sort of parasite that is causing all of this or just a coincidence.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

What type of bird is Lemondrop, please? Can you upload a photo(s) of this "canker sore" to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
When I get to the ranch I can take a picture and show you. I will be there in about 30 min.

I'll watch for your next post.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Here is a picture of her sore.

Thank you. Give a me moment to look at the photos, please.

My initial thought is the wet form of fowl pox. The small blackened area above the "sore" is typical of the dry form. I'm going to send the photo to a friend of mine who is a specialist veterinary pathologist with a special interest in birds. Let's see what she has to say. I'll return to our conversation as soon as I hear from here...usually within 24 hours.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you.

You're welcome. I'll talk to you soon.

Here's what she had to say: "I'd bet money on avian pox. Canker in poultry talk usually refers to trichomoniasis which this doesn't look like."

Unfortunately, there's no treatment for avian pox virus. High mortality resulting from suffocation can occur if lesions occlude the upper trachea (windpipe), particularly the glottis. Good management, including mosquito control, reduces stress in infected flocks. Vaccination is currently the only method of controlling fowl pox. The difficulty you'll find is the need to purchase 1000 doses of the vaccine so it's likely to be more cost-effective to have an avian vet (please see here: atttend to your other birds. Some birds will recover unaided within a few weeks.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I should separate her from the others and keep an eye on it? Any treatment specifically to her?

All of your birds have already been exposed. There's no value to quarantining her at this time. As mentioned above, there's no specific treatment. It's not unreasonable, however, to cleanse the affected area with an antimicrobial product such as Vetericyn, a chlorhexidine solution, or potentiated iodine (Betadyne, e.g) twice daily. All of these products are likely to be found in your local feed store.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?