Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital

Wet head feathers in morning, Ryder, 5 months, No

Customer Question

Wet head feathers in morning
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Ryder, 5 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ryder?
Customer: No
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He's had a fright during the night and hes young. he was on the water bowl this morning with wet heads. I put a piece of apple in his cage and turned off the overhead fan to hopefully help
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 13 days ago.

Hi this is Dr Hill. So it is a possibility that Ryder had an early morning bath and has a wet head because of it. However, because he is so young, I would also watch for any signs of regurgitation. Birds will shake their head when regurgitating and sling their crop contents on their head and around the cage. This can be a sign of crop stasis or crop inflammation/infection. Please ask any follow up questions. If you are satisfied with my response, then please take time to rate. You can continue posting for a few days, even after rating. Take care.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I didn't notice anything flung around the cage. His poops are normal too.

Thats great. What type of bird is Ryder?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He is a cockatiel. Loves attention! I had him out last night and was loving. He also ate a sunflower seed i gave him this morning. Do you think he could just have a cold? Ive changed the house temp some with weather change.

Unlikely to be a cold. He is adorable. they make great companions.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you. So probably just bathing then? I try and put in a bath once a week and he does love it. I just dont like to leave it in. Is he too young for honey treats?

Actually he would probably love a daily or every other day bath. Cockatiels are dusty birds and benefit from bathing. A very occasional honey treat should be fine. I noticed that he had millet in the picture. Ideally, you want to have him on a pelleted diet and not a seed/pellet mix. Millet should be given sparingly because it is like giving your child chocolate cake. He is young and you have a great opportunity to start him out with a healthy diet. Birds should be healthy vegans. Try different fruits and veggies. Avoid avocado (lethal) and onions. My bird will only eat orange veggies and fruits. They are all unique.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
my other birds in past ate it like candy. He only gets it when hes out ... and then he knocks it to the ground ... I think he thinks its funny. I have tried apple and pineapple, which he didn't care for. He loves seeds, and I don't think he'd eat pellets. I will try not giving him the millet for a few days. Ive been told they are picky eaters ... One last thing and I'll be done ... I know it's coming time to clip wings again ... any easy suggestions?

He would eat the pellets if you converted him. Check out Harrison's bird foods for tips on conversion to pellets. I use cat nail clippers and cut the first 5 primary feathers just below the level of the smaller feathers. You should never cut blood feathers because they will bleed significantly. Also you need to leave one primary on either side of a blood feather to protect it from breakage. Do you have to cut him feathers? It is okay for the to be flighted as long as you do not have ceiling fans or other animals in the house that may harm him.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
i have to. All my others were escape artists. And i have ceiling fans. I wish i didn't but he is one i can handle to cut. Are thd feathers that youre talking about the outer onees?

Yes the long outer feathers. Look at the shaft of the feather and if it is red, then that is a blood feather, so do not cut. It would be best to take him to a local veterinarian to have them show you how to trim the feathers.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks very much for your help this morning.

Your welcome. Enjoy your little buddy!

Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 10 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?