Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Dr. Salkin, We had 2 chickens die a couple of weeks ago and

Customer Question

Dr. Salkin,
We had 2 chickens die a couple of weeks ago and after necropsy found that they both had Mareks. Now, of course, our whole flock has been exposed. But I refuse to cull them all, I love them too much.
Yesterday I noticed that one of my pullets, about 3 months old, started walking around with her tail down. That is how the last pullet started showing symptoms. I know that her tail down may not be the Marek's just nervous and know she must not be feeling well.
I have read that there are homeopathic treatments to possibly stop the symptoms of showing up. How do you feel about that? Do you know of any that could help? I have read about St John's Wart and a few others.
Thank you!
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 24 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Ugh. Big bad Marek's...I'll be quite frank with you. I believe homeopathy to be akin to snake oil. We don't know of any helpful therapy for addressing the herpesvirus of Marek's - herbal or otherwise. Vaccinating in ovo or at 1 day of age is all we can do and even vaccination can't stop infection but can lessen morbidity (severity of symptoms). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.