Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Chicken with swollen eye and it is shut. 11/2 year old. She

Customer Question

Chicken with swollen eye and it is shut.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: 11/2 year old.
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: Linda
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Linda?
Customer: She does not want to eat or eat much. Shows sign of being sleepy. I feed her by hand and give her water by mouth with droplet. but left eye is shut and swollen
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 26 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Linda. I would need to examine her eye hands-on to be most accurate for you but there are limited problems seen in chickens' eyes. Trauma is common. A beak peck of claw scratch can damage an eye. Infection is usually limited to a conjunctivitis but that conjunctivitis can be a symptom of a more general respiratory infection. The infraorbital sinus becomes infected and the infection then spreads from that sinus into the eye. We need to consider systemic infections as well that affect the eye but those would require advanced testing to identify - testing that usually isn't financially reasonable in flock care but is available through an avian vet (please see here:

We need to treat what we can treat. Terramycin ophthalmic ointment (please see here: is available in many pet/feed stores or online. A dab of the ointment into the eye thrice daily for ten consecutive days should suffice for a simple local conjunctivitis. If the eye infection is part of a more general respiratory infection as evidenced by facial swelling (additional sinuses are swollen), nasal discharge, sneezing, coughing, and increased respiratory rate, it would be prudent to initiate tylosin (in the form of Tylan-50 at your local feed store) by intramuscular injection in the breast muscle at a dose of 20-30 mg/lb once daily for 5-7 days.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 24 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?