Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My parakeet acts like she is laying a egg but on inspection

Customer Question

my parakeet acts like she is laying a egg but on inspection she has what looks like a pimple near her anus and is now standing off her leg on that side
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your bird. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is about 5 yrs old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about peeps?
Customer: In the past 2 years she has laid at least 2 eggs every cycle. There is a male parakeet with her that was suppose to be a female. But his crest is the deepest blue I have ever seen
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 29 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Can you upload a close-up of this "pimple" to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as

Pimples aren't seen in parakeets and so I'm concerned about trauma, bacterial folliculitis or even a skin cancer.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
What do you mean you can't call me? Did you charge my account?

I'm not allowed to call you. The site doesn't know that. I'm not privy to your financial obligation to the site. Please contact***@******.*** who can answer questions concerning charges.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
She bit me while I was trying to get a photo. I will just take her to a local vet.. I expect that I will only be charged the initial $5.00

I understand. Contact***@******.***; you might not be charged at all.