Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My 1-year old Orpington may have an impacted crop. The crop

Customer Question

My 1-year old Orpington may have an impacted crop. The crop does not go down during the night. It feels full the next morning before I let the hens out of the coop. Yesterday I gave her water in a syringe and massaged the crop, inverted her head downward a few seconds to see if she would release her crop--it did not. I repeated this for about 15 mins. However, the crop did get somewhat smaller almost to the point of feeling normal.She does not have a sour smell when her beak is open. Pearl eats and forages as usual (they are in a run all day). She has had very watery diarrhea with bits of vegetation in it. Last night it had more color (like green-yellow milk) with more bits of vegetation. The only issue is that she appears to tire easily probably from the weight loss (?) -- she weighs only 4 lbs now and she used to be around 10. Thank you for your consideration of my question.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I"m sorry to hear of this with your hen. Such a profound (60%) weight loss often indicates a neoplastic (cancerous) disorder such as Marek's disease (herpesvirus) or avian leukosis virus. Infections would have taken her by now. Any serious disorder can cause crop atonicity (lack of muscular tone) and Marek's is well-known to do so. Unfortunately, hens rarely (if ever) can recover from such severe cachexia (wasting). You're not likely to be seeing a primary crop disorder such as impaction/sour crop. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.