Dr.D, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal and Exotic Animal Veterinarian . Licensed in Florida and Canada

I have a 47 year old Blue Front Amazon. Do not know the sex.

Customer Question

I have a 47 year old Blue Front Amazon. Do not know the sex. She was diagnosed with Fatty Liver disease 13 yrs ago. We keep a very close eye on her. she takes methiscol and milk thistle daily. Today, she has blood in her stool. Her vent appears swollen. Of course, it's Sat and my vet is closed. I live in Mississippi.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr.D replied 1 month ago.
Hello there , I am DrD, I am an avian veterinarian , I will try to answer to your question . With Swollen vent and fresh blood ( I assume ) usually tell us that there would be a cloacal mass / papilloma . This bird needs to be scoped ASAP to find out the origin of the bleeding. Perhaps your veterinarian will also run a blood chemistry and blood cell count tests including bile acids test to find out if her liver functions are o.k . You better take her to the emergency If the bleeding did not stop since there is not much that you can do at home.
Expert:  Dr.D replied 1 month ago.
I will be offline for a while since I am in Europe. You may always re-list your question if you are not satisfied with my response. Wishing both of you a good luck.