Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I received advice from you regarding the Catalina macaw with

Customer Question

Hi there. I received advice from you regarding the Catalina macaw with the hole in his beak and swollen face. I'd like to folloW up with you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

I'd very much like a follow-up, please. My moderator requests that you provide a rating for your previous post before opening up a new question.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He went to the vet, and was given Baytril. They did some tests and we're waiting for results. His cheeks had a little yellow discoloration, which is now turning reddish. Can you explain that?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is what was done at the vet.

Different stages of bleeding/bruising/healing under the skin? He looks like he was attended to nicely.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I guess I didn't understand the bruising, since there was no trauma. Should the swelling be better by now? He's been on meds since Monday.

Infection can cause significant trauma. Think of flesh-eating bacteria in people! The behavior of any swelling would be predicated upon whether or not the underlying reason for the swelling was being addressed properly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The test results should show what started this in the first place. He had a high white blood cell count. Most birds seen to react to antibiotics quickly, but his face is still so swollen. Should we go back to the vet if the swelling isn't better soon?

Let's see what shows up in testing. The vet will contact you when the results are back and then rechecks will be scheduled.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Different or stronger antibiotics?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would you like tO know what the test results are when we get them? I really appreciate your help. Its nice to have a vet to talk to when none are available here.

Perhaps, but Baytril is very broad spectrum. Very few bacteria are resistant to it. We also need to consider fungal and mycobacterial agents, however, and neoplasia (cancer) isn't out of the question. Yes, I'd like to know the test results, please. Please stay in this question rather than opening up a new one so you won't be charged over and over.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Dr. The Bird is recovering, and we are just waiting for test results. The skin that was bruising, has become thick and crusty. I've never seen such a thing,.but the swelling is going down. Thank you so much for helping! I'll rate you if there is no further need for communication. I can send you test results and rate you then, if you'd like more info.

Thank you for the update, Nancy. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. I very much want to know those test results. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.