Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Blood feather bleeding on parakeet when she picks at it.

Customer Question

Blood feather bleeding on parakeet when she picks at it. What can I do? No help available.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Darla, you'll need help. One person gently restrains Sunshine while the other identifies the bleeding feather and plucks it out of the skin. The skin will stop bleeding immediately. To identify which feather is bleeding the area can be soaked in 3% hydrogen peroxide which will blanche out the old blood and make it easier for you to find the feather shaft that's fractured. That's the feather you would grasp at the skin with tweezers or similar tool and pluck out. If you don't have help, leave this alone until you do have help; otherwise, disturbing the clot will only cause more bleeding.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.