Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Catalina macaw looks like his face is swollen, discolored

Customer Question

Catalina macaw looks like his face is swollen, discolored yellowish face, weepy eyes. The vets in my area are closed till Monday.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dr Pat was online to answer my question, but I lost her after signing in
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The hole in the beak is also new. There aren't any other birds or animals that could have injured him.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site and it appears as if Dr. Pat isn't available. It's reasonable to assume that the beak defect is related to the swelling of his face. If we can't attribute either to trauma, either bacterial, fungal, or viral (psittacine beak and feather disease) infection should be considered. In many cases, bacterial and fungal infections may result from extension of nasal and sinus infection into the bone and keratin (a structural protein) of the beak. Causative organisms include Candida, Aspergillus, Cryptococcus, Mycobacteria, and Pseudomonas although other bacteria can also be isolated. Neoplasia (cancer) needs to be considered as well; fibrosarcoma and squamous cell carcinoma are important differentials. There's little for you to do at home at this time other than keeping him warm in an 85F environment. Please have an avian vet (please see here: attend to him at your earliest convenience. I would expect a thorough exam of his oral cavity including cultures +/- biopsy in at attempt to clarify an infecting agent.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much for your advice. The bird belongs to my customer and she brought him in. His beak has a deep hole in it that she didn't see till last night. Is it possible that the infection was in the sinus and beak and the surface of the beak just broke out? I sent her home with some antibiotics till the vet opens on Monday.

Yes, that's the most likely scenario. You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.