Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

One of the domestic red hens is sick. She ate some manure

Customer Question

One of the domestic red hens is sick. She ate some manure that was from a bag.
She is docile and moody and wont let me touch her like the others do.
Jan
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She crouches all the time and vomited liquid one time.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Was there any chemicals, stones, or items that may not have been edible in the manure?

How much do you think she has had?

Can she pass tool? Or appear to be straining?

Can she eat and drink? Can she keep anything down?

Are her gums (mucosa of her mouth) pink, yellow tinted, or pale/white?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tensing or pain?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for finally replying as I don't sit at this computer all day.
She wont eat or drink today. She is crouching all the time. Her stomach is protruding as
she is quite fat. There doesn't seem to be any pain.
She only had one pellet as I was watching them at the time (there are seven hens)
I don't own them as I only live here but I like to watch them all the time.
I haven't seen her stool yet.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I read on the internet about an Epsom salt bath and this is so good for them.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome,

First, an Epsom salt bath can help if she is egg bound. Though from her history, this is more suspicious of a gut blockage from her eating the manure. Now I have to note that if you do not own the birds, you need to speak to their owner before you do anything to them or have them checked by a local vet. And I have to note that the latter is ideal if she isn't eating/drinking now. This is because it won't be safe to use oral gut lubricants to help facilitate passage of anything caught and also with the lack of stool we'd want to make sure there isn't a full blockage present. Depending on the vet's findings, an enema may help but blockages high in the gut can require surgery.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** care, the only options that you could try with her owners permission is treating her with OTC cat hairball treatment +/- syringe feed canned pumpkin to her. The former will help ease her passing anything caught and that latter is fiber rich and can help push things through the gut. As well, we'd want to tempt her to eat and drink. While doing so, water/nutrition rich foods like cucumber, romaine lettuce, cous cous, oatmeal, oranges, and brown rice can be fed.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will test he foods first as I don't hav any authority over the hens.
She brought up water yesterday, what does that mean?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

It raises worries of gut or possible crop blockages. So, do try those but do make her owner aware of the situation.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited by the site for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi again. Today, Monday, she won't eat the food I put there. I put orange, oats and brown rice. She walked away and hid. She is not in pain if I touch her stomach. Since she has poop all over her tail should I still give her the salt bath? Can it be table salt as there is no Epsom here.
The owner said I can feed the chooks, no worries.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
As soon as the hen is well I will pay you. Why should I pay for advice that doesn't work??
Smiles!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ahem! Yes, you are right, she has diarrohea. The feather messed up with a bit of green under the tail.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I washed off the dag on her underneath. Some was dark brown, the same colour of the manure!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She drinks water but is moping all day .
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The hen is not moving at all now. I think she has a gut blockage and is not eating anything now.
Jan Perry, Wilson, Perth.