Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds

My canary has been loosing tail feathers the last couple of

Customer Question

My canary has been loosing tail feathers the last couple of days. Now he is bleeding on one side of his neck & blood was splattered all over the cage. He was in a screened area where no other animal could get near his cage. I put some antibiotic ointment on his neck. What else can I do to help him? Thanks, Jo-Anne
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jo-Anne?
Customer: He allowed me to hold him and put the ointment on. He seams to be able to move around easily.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. I am sorry that he was injured. Is it possible that he was injured on a toy in his cage (caught on something). Can you take a picture of the wound? Has it stopped bleeding? Have you noticed any intense itching or issues with his beak or feet?