Lyndsey Kingsley
Lyndsey Kingsley,
Experience:  Veterinarian at My Pet's MVP Austin
95804933

3year old chicken. She is listless. Infected behind infested

Customer Question

3year old chicken. She is listless. Infected behind infested with maggots. Gave her 2 soaking baths in Epsom salts. What else to we do?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Lyndsey Kingsley replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. Lyndsey Kingsley. When did you first notice the maggots? Is there an obvious wound or a prolapse of any internal organs?

wounds infected with maggots, or myiasis, can be very difficult to treat and is common in chickens. The best option is to remove them manually, many times per day. Moving them inside will help prevent more flies from laying around the area. You can use Adam's spray (available at most feed stores) to spray on a paper towel and wipe the region. This will slow them down and allow easier removal. Use the spray sparingly and do not apply in the wound. I know there are very few veterinarians that see chickens, but it would be best to take her in for an exam, fluids, pain medication, antibiotics, and further investigation of the wound or prolapse (2 most common reason we see maggot infestations). Sadly, the prognosis is not great with these girls. Keep her warm and in a dry environment. Best of luck, please take a moment to rate my response if you were satisfied with my answer.

Hi Yvonne,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Winona. How is everything going?

Lyndsey Kingsley