Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital

I found one of our 6 month old buffs dead in the pen this

Customer Question

I found one of our 6 month old buffs dead in the pen this morning, there was bloody stool all over the pen.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name?
Customer: Blonde
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Blonde?
Customer: just noticed the blood yesterday, no other symptoms that we noticed, there is 16 other hens in the coop with her.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. I am so sorry about Blonde. To help determine what happened and to try and prevent this in the other hens, I recommend that you take Blonde's body and her stool sample to a veterinary hospital They can send her out for necropsy and run a fecal. These two tests should tell you why she passed and what if anything you need to worry about with the other chickens. Are they layers or meat chickens? Are they pets? Do you have a poop board in the coop?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They are layers, and no she was not really a pet, not sure what you mean by a poop board. I am sure it would be costly to take her body to a vet (even if I could find one that would do) to have her analyzed.

Okay. So a poop board is just a countertop basically that sits under their perch so that it catches the stool and keeps it from getting all over the coop. I asked because chickens will almost always perch in the same area night after night, so that you can see if it is only Blonde who had the bloody stools, or any of the others. If a necropsy is not in the budget, then I would have a local veterinarian send out a stool sample. It may be something like Coccidia and Blonde had a more severe case. Parasites are treatable, but chickens are regulated by the government because part of the food chain, and you cannot give certain medications to them. There are also withdrawal times that are determined by the government. FARAD is the website that can tell you the withdrawal times if you choose to treat your hens. Another important thing to know about chickens, is that they should be vaccinated on day one for Marek's disease. Feel free to ask additional questions. Backyard chickens is a great resource site. If you are satisfied with my answer then please take time to rate. If you are having a hard time finding information, I may be able to post some links for you. Let me know. Take care.