Dr. G.
Dr. G., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian.

Treating sour crop

Customer Question

treating sour crop
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear Jashua is not feeling well. Does she have sour crop or a crop impaction? How long has this been going on now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We believe it is sour crop. Discharge from her beak. Lethargy, soft crop. Started seeing change in her behavior about 10 days ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We decided to check her today and found her discharging the syrupy liquid.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

I see.

I am sorry to hear that.

What have you done so far and when did you start treatment?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This morning we isolated her from others, with holding water for 12 hrs and food for 24.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

Typically sour crop will be treated by rinsing out the crop with saline (saline flushes) and topical anti fungal (if it gets really bad). Holding food for 24 hours can help to try to reset things in the crop. Bad feed or impaction can sometimes be the culprit with sour crop. Using probiotics can sometimes help as the bacteria may help to outcompete the yeast overgrowth in the crop. I would start first with probiotics as anti fungal medication can cause issues with consuming the products from the chicken down the road. There are many chicken probiotics available at most feed stores. If she does not seem to be improving within a few days or she is worsening, she may need anti fungal treatment.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We will do that. Do you believe postural drainage with massage helps? She is docile and would not struggle or get upset.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

I do. I would give it a try. I do like to do the massaging and drainage as long as they will tolerate it 1-2 times daily.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.
Hi Rogers,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jashua. How is everything going?
Dr. G.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!