Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He has red around his eyes and he is closing them most of

Customer Question

he has red around his eyes and he is closing them most of the time. this just started about an hour ago. Interestingly this happened to me yesterday in one eye.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: his name is***** is almost 8.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sir Lacey?
Customer: I am a music teacher so he sings and dances. But there were alot of people living in my house before a big wedding this week
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

The fact that you were similarly affected is the clue that Sir Lacey's redness indicates a conjunctival irritant such as smoke or chemical fumes or allergies - especially secondary to nicotine. A lot of people in your house brought a lot of allergens and irritants with them. Treatment, if necessary, doesn't include decongestant or steroid-containing drops. Artificial tears or saline, only, are useful in irrigating Sir Lacey's eyes a couple of tmes daily until the tincture of time resolves the reaction in his conjunctivas.

Other causes of conjunctivitis include bacterial infections, viral and fungal infections which would be considered if you didn't see prompt resolution of the redness - within 72 hours of the onset of it. The diagnosis by an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) involves cytology (microscopic exam of a small sample of his conjunctival surface) and culture of the conjunctiva. Which type of bird is Sir Lacey, please?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?