Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She's laying down a lot. I checked her vent and feet. both

Customer Question

She's laying down a lot. I checked her vent and feet. both seemed fine. when i called them for treats the others ran but she hopped across the yard. She is now laying down in a crate in the basement.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help them. How old is them?
Customer: about 5 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about them?
Customer: She's a large breed. Orpington. She's low in the pecking order
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 3 months ago.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am sorry that your pup isn't feeling well. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. I have just a few additional questions for you so that I can make the best recommendation.

how long has this been going on for?

eating and drinking ok?

which leg is she lame in?

any current meds or illness?

has she been to the vet lately?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This behavior has been going on for 2 days. I realized this hen had fly strike in May. What would happen if I didn't get all the maggots out of her? I also rescued a hen that had northern fowl mites this summer & that took me about 5 weeks to get rid of them on my flock of 9 birds. She is clean of all mites but it's worth mentioning.

friend I am very sorry but I didn't realize this was a chicken. the initial information appeared to me as other and I misread the information. I am very sorry I am going to opt out and let someone more familiar with chickens take over.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Can you clarify for me what "hopped across the yard" implies? Is she one legged, favoring a leg, e.g? Has she been laying? If so, have you noticed an interruption in her laying? Where were the maggots found? If any remained from May you would have lost her far before now.

( External parasites should be identified prior to treatment as you've done but in most cases a poultry permethrin-containing dust as well as environmental control should suffice. A recent study showed that mite populations could be controlled with dust boxes containing either diatomaceous earth, kaolin clay, or sulfur. All hens using dust boxes with any material showed a reduction in ectoparasites (mites, lice, fleas) by 80-100% after one week when compared to control groups. Ectoparasite populations recovered when dust boxes containing diatomaceous earth or kaolin clay were removed; however, sulfur provided a residual effect up to nine months post removal. Provision of dust boxes may be a simple and effective method of ectoparasite control for backyard flocks.)