Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My 6 month old frizzled cochin hen lost most of her wing

Customer Question

My 6 month old frizzled cochin hen lost most of her wing feathers while I was i Europe. My carer reports she was being constantly selected by an aggressive rooster, who has been rehomed. She lays an egg a day and is otherwise functional. What should I be doing to help her feathers grow back?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name?
Customer: Bridgette,and she is not the least lethargic.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bridgette?
Customer: Because she was the only survivor in her group who was not an easter egger, she was shunned until my next batch of hens BCM's. were integrated into the flock, and she began to hang with them.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

Unless you're seeing others in your flock molting, Linda, I have to attribute Bridgette's feather loss to that aggressive rooster who can wreak havok on Bridgette's sides and wings while straddling her. There's nothing more to do than provide her with the added protein and calcium she needs to regrow those feathers. This can be done by feeding a 16% protein layer feed like NatureWise® or Country Feeds® that also is balanced in regard to other nutrients. Make feed available free choice to her (and others who might be molting). You can supplement with extra protein like sunflower seeds, cooked eggs, or peas as treats. Even if your others don't require such a feed, a couple of weeks of it won't be harmful and may be enough to hasten regrowth of feathers in that funny looking hen. (I can't help grin when I see these birds...)

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.