Dr. G.
Dr. G., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian.
71397578

She was attacked by a possum 2 days ago her head lost most

Customer Question

She was attacked by a possum 2 days ago her head lost most of its feathers seems swollen her eyes are closed can't tell if they are swollen shut or maybe had them punctured. Do we clean her head and eye area with anything
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name?
Customer: Henritta
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Henritta?
Customer: No healthy until this about 1 1/2 years old
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this has happened.

What kind of bird is henritta?

Is she on any medications right now?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

What kind of bird is henritta?

Is she on any medications right now?

Is she eating or drinking?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is a Rhode island red no meds I don't think she is eating or drinking
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

I see. She most likely needs antibiotics if her head and eyes are swelling. Are you able to get her to a vet to get looked at this weekend?

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

You can clean the head with lukewarm water. Then clean with chlorhexidine scrub that is diluted with water. You can get this at most pharmacies. I think she likely will need oral antibiotics though to prevent systemic infection. We worry a lot about bite wound infections and that won't be able to be treated very effectively with just topical medications.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think I can by antibiotics at feed store what should I give and how much
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

you will likely need a prescription for the useful antibiotics. The one you want is baytril, but if you use that you can never eat the eggs or meat ever again. Otherwise, tetracycline can be used. You can get that at the feed store and it will have dosing on it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

You are very welcome. Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

How is Henritta doing?

I noticed you have not accepted or rated this conversation yet and I wanted to see if there was anything else I could help you with.

Please feel free to reply back at your convenience and let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Also, please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation at any time so we know you no longer require continuing this conversation. I wish both the best. Have a great day!