Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of pet, wildlife, and zoo avian experience, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My bird just a soft egg -- she was lethargic and acting

Customer Question

my bird just laid a soft egg -- she was lethargic and acting weird, then she started panting and then laid it from the top perch. It smashed on the bottom of the cage but I could tell it was mishapen even before it smashed. Should I take her to the vet asap? Or is she ok now that it's out?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 months ago.

hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you. I don't think she needs to go to the vet at this point as long as she stops her panting and starts becoming slowly less lethargic. If she continues to become more and more lethargic then she needs to see the vet immediately. Likely the cause of all that you are seeing is she is depleted in her blood calcium. That causes the difficulty in laying the egg and the less than normal egg shell thickness. Because of this she should see the vet to have her blood calcium tested but this is not an emergency as long as she does not continue to worsen throughout the next few hours. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help , please leave a rating. Dr. Dan