Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

I have a 12- 13 yr old chihuahua mix. Last time she was

Customer Question

I have a 12- 13 yr old chihuahua mix. Last time she was weighed she was 10.1 lbs She has hip displaysia on her rt side. She is under vet care and is taking, Tramadol 25mg daily for pain, Carprofen 25 mg daily for inflammation, and Nu Joint DS also daily. I the last last three days she has acted extra lethargic. She's been very reluctant to go outside and wants to lay down a lot on the walks. I live on the top floor of an apt building, and she doesn't want to walk to the stairs. but what I am most concerned about is in the last 2 1/2 days she has been disinterested in eating and I had to really coax her or hand feed her. I am on a limited income so I need to save as much as I can. Do I need to get her checked out?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your little one with a history of hip problems that are being treated with Tramadol and Carprofen and Nu Joint DS daily has recently become more lethargic and is eating poorly.

I think that a recheck is in order.

She is an older girl and if she were eating well, but reluctant to move around I would think that this may be all pain related and perhaps adding another medication for pain may be all that that is needed.

But because her appetite is off and she is taking a nonsteroidal (carprofen) she does need to see her veterinarian and I highly recommend bloodwork and a urinalysis to check her organ function. I understand that your income is limited so I would ask that they run a mini geriatric blood panel. While not as comprehensive it hits the major highlights that allow us to check organ function and is often much less expensive.

In the meantime to try and settle her stomach and get her eating you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and may help settle her stomach and get her feeling better and hopefully get her appetite back. These can be given for several days if need be.

In a couple hours offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth or warm water to increase palatability and get additional fluids into her.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.
Hi Jeanne,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?