Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

I have a umbrella cacatoo baby hatched july 23. I have been

Customer Question

I have a umbrella cacatoo baby hatched july
23. I have been feeding it. It now is making a clicking noise like respritory oproblem. What should i do?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, Sallie. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

I am very sorry to hear that your lad is making a respiratory clicking sound, as this raises real worries of aspiration of food into the respiratory tract. As well, brewing respiratory tract infections can also cause the sound you are hearing. Now with is being so young and aspiration pneumonia being a very dangerous situation for a young bird, we'd really want him seen by your local avian vet right away. You can steam treat (using shower steam, nebulizer, humidifier) to reduce airway congestion and keep him warm (cover 3 sides of his cage +/- put a heating pad under half of the cage) until he is seen. But we'd need his vet to listen and potentially xray his lungs to see the extent and cause of his signs. If we can get this diagnosed quickly and get him onto treatment (ie antibiotics, bronchodilators, anti-inflammatories, etc) right away it will give us the best chance of preventing this from progressing and getting him over this without serious harm.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The parents of my umbrella cacatoo baby had 4 eggs b4 this one when i looked in the box the fertile egg was broke and baby gone like yhe father ate it. What could cause this?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

I do apologize but website policy does require you to open any non-related questions as a new question. Briefly I would note that it was likely behavioral but the chick may have already been dead. Otherwise, please see above with regards ***** ***** question you did ask of me.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.
Hi Sallie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sallie L Bausch. How is everything going?

Dr. B.