Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have an 18 month old Buff Orpington that is very

Customer Question

I have an 18 month old Buff Orpington that is very lethargic, standing with eyes closed. I had her feces taken to the vet, but they found nothing and will not give me antibiotics since she is due to lay soon. Any suggestions?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name?
Customer: Opal :)
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Opal?
Customer: Her feces were a loose white and yellow. She keeps running away from me ( which I guess I am taking as a good sign ) because i was going to take her inside. We live in Kansas and lately it's been very HOT!
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
18 Week, not month
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

Why not promise to isolate Opal inside (please see here:, presumptively administer an antibiotic and adher to the egg withdrawal requirements for that antibiotic? Unfortunately, lethargy and closed eyes can indicate any number of illnesses or health issues in chickens. In avian medicine, there's rarely one cause of such a presentation, so we usually begin with a list of differential diagnoses and use lab tests, X-rays, and physical exams to differentiate one from another. Did Opal's vet offer to perform additional testing over and above a fecal ova and parasite exam? Was the feces cultured?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The vet will not give me medication because they tested the feces ( not sure what all they did ) and found nothing wrong.
Can I get antibiotics from a Farm Supply store?

That's hardly enough information to preclude the use of anitbiotics.

Yes, I favor tylosin in the form of Tylan-50 which can be injected intramuscularly at a dose of 20-30 mg/lb daily or the injectable solution can be given orally at the same dose for 5-7 days. Feed stores or online sites should have this.

I have to leave my computer for a few hours but I promise to reply as soon as I return if need be.