Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My bird is flapping his wings and his body becomes stiff and

Customer Question

My bird is flapping his wings and his body becomes stiff and his head goes back and his whole body is uncontrollable. His been sick for a while then started to feel better and all of the sudden he become sick again with similar symptoms. Please help.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is flapping?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is12 years old. His a lovebird. I might Flapping his wings.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about babyboy?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Babyboy. You're witnessing complex partial seizures (also called psychomotor seizures) which can arise secondary to infections (bacterial, viral, fungal) in the central nervous system (brain, spinal cord), neoplasia (cancer) in those areas or metastatic from distant sites in his body, nutritional deficiencies, or perhaps adult-onset epilepsy. Unfortunately, this isn't something you'll be able to manage at home without the aid of an avian vet (please see here: who will want to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests on Babyboy. His prognosis must necessarily be very guarded if only because seizures can be life-threatening and he's at life expectancy.

Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has Babyboy's diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of his diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: or here: should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.