Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My baby duck has an eye infection and I don't know what to

Customer Question

Hi my baby duck has an eye infection and I don't know what to do hes really weak and barely walks he was born yesterday.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No there isn't
JA: How old is duck?
Customer: It's was just born yesterday
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about duck?
Customer: No its just the runt of the litter and hes really weak
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with this baby duck. Can you tell me, please, if he's able to eat and drink normally? If not, I need you to make a gruel out of duck pellets (or a 21%-22% protein chick starter with a niacin supplement) and force-feed the gruel by means of a small poultry baster (the irony) placed into his oral cavity - preferably under his tongue into his lower beak which lowers the risk of his aspirating it. His eye can be addressed with over the counter Terramycin ophthalmic ointment administered as a "dab" into the eye thrice daily for a minimum 10 days. This ointment can be found in many pet/feed stores or online such as here: https://www.amazon.com/Peak-Marketing-Terramycin-Ophthalmic-Ointment/dp/B00063KGUK

Please respond with the additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.