S. August Abbott, CAS
S. August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Work w/Avian Vet; published bird care nutrition& behavior articles; consults, research
1604863

I have a 2 yr old cheek conour, first time Mom, with four

Customer Question

I have a 2 yr old green cheek conour, first time Mom, with four eggs. She is in her box and she and dad very attentive, however she didn't buid a nest. She has plenty of material to choose from. My concern is will the baby chicks be warm enough. Is it possible she will add material soon?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  S. August Abbott, CAS replied 10 months ago.

This isn't unusual for a box pair. The box tends to serve as the 'nest' and it's mom and dad who are the heat source.

Just be sure to keep the environment in the entire home at a comfortable level (78 or so) and let what more than 65 million years of evolution has perfected just do what it does.

These birds have been long before humans were even a thought - they are amazing creatures!

I understand your concerns though. We have a hard time suspending our thinking of them as other mammals that need to care for their young like we would (or like a dog or cat would). Avians are fascinating, resilient and survivors - so keep an eye out for anything that might be 'vet visit worthy' (like abandoning the chicks, chick tossing, not feeding, hurting them, etc) but other than that - enjoy the miracle of it all