Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.
6012901

A BEAUTIFUL PIGEON SHOWED UP AT MY HOUSE 3 DAYS AGO SHE

Customer Question

A BEAUTIFUL WHITE PIGEON SHOWED UP AT MY HOUSE 3 DAYS AGO SHE SEEMS VERY TAME I'VE BEEN FEEDING HER WHAT I FOUND OUT IS APPROPRIATE BUT SHE ISN'T EATING WELL AND SHE'S SPENDING LOT OF TIME PUFFED UP - SHE HAS A BLUE BAND ON HER LEG & I HAVE CALLED THE PIGEON RACING ASSOC BUT APPARENTLY THE OWNER WAS NOT A MEMBER - THE INITIALS ARE A PERSONAL NAME WHAT SHOULD I DO SHE'S MORE THAN WELCOME HERE & I WILL TAKE CARE OF HER BUT IT WORRIES ME THAT SHE SEEMS ILL
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: NO SHE SEEMS FINE (IT COULD BE A HE FOR ALL I KNOW) PERHAPS SHE'S JUST TIRED??
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?
Customer: SHE'S QUITE BIG AND ALL WHITE WITH PINK RING AROUND HER EYE BUT THE EYES ARE CLEAR RED FEET
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Anna replied 8 months ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in birds. It's kind of you to care for this pigeon.

Poor appetite, not having normal energy levels and sleeping a lot with the feathers fluffed up only tells us that something is wrong, without letting us know what it is. They are general symptoms. Birds tend to hide signs of illness, so by the time symptoms like you're seeing show up, the bird is often quite ill. The best thing to do would be to take the pigeon to an avian vet. This link can help you find one:

http://www.avianweb.com/recommendedvets.htm

Sick birds need to warm. If there's a warmer room in the house where you can move the cage to, that would be a good thing to do. You could also cover three sides and the top of the cage to keep warmth in. Another option is to use a clean sock, and fill it 2/3 with plain, raw white rice. Tie the open end and microwave it for about 1 1/2 minutes. Then shake to distribute the heat. Make sure it's not so hot that it could burn the pigeon Put it in the cage for added warmth. You can re-warm it when it gets cool. She can stay near it if she's a bit chilly, and move away if she gets too warm.You could also place a heating pad on low over part of the cage. Be sure all cords are out of reach. Sick birds do best with temperatures in the 85*F to 90*F range.

We can also make one more attempt to find the owner. If you'll tell me the name on the band, I have a couple of places I can try.

Anna