Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I bought an 8 week old Cockatiel two weeks ago. She did not

Customer Question

I bought an 8 week old Cockatiel two weeks ago. She did not drink water and would not eat Zupreem Fruit Blend small size. She was dehydrated, I had to give her water through an eye dropper. With her food she picks it up and drops it. She will eat some millet. How do I get her on a good diet since now she is does not know how to eat these dry hard foods? What do I do? I tried giving her only the small fruit blend, but have failed to see her eat it. I don't want her to eat just seeds and get off to a bad start.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm pleased to see that you're aware of how important a balanced diet is for these cockatiels. Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. Seeds should compose less than 20% of her diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Please see here for how you might transition Sweetie to a more appropriate diet: http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/using-our-foods/small-bird-conversion/ (Disclaimer: I have no vested interest in Harrison's Bird Foods)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.