Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

We found 3 baby birds in our fire place - my son and husband

Customer Question

we found 3 baby birds in our fire place - my son and husband got them out and put in a big shoe box outside - we were suprised they were still alive this morning -they are still huttled together - we hoped mom or dad would return - we sprinkled a little them twice today-they have moved around a little but still together -what should we do or do nothing
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 8 months ago.

In most cases, the parents will return for the baby birds or keep looking for them for 24-48 hours. Keep them in an area where the parents can find them but after this time frame, I would suggest contacting your newest wildlife rehabilitation network (usually staffed by volunteers working out of their homes). I can help you locate one if you tell me what area you are in.

In the meantime, here is a care sheet to help you get started. The best thing to do is to turn the bird over to a licensed wildlife rehabilitator because in some states keeping any wild bird without a permit is against the law- this applies even if you intend to release it when it is grown. If the bird belongs to a federally protected species this applies regardless of state law on the matter.

Typically, recommendations are to not feed the babies as different species have different dietary requirements but if you are not able to get a hold of someone to take the bird or if you can identify its species, you can offer a small amount of food to prevent starvation until it can get into the hands of someone that is trained to raise orphaned baby birds.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
we are in South Jersey in Camden County

Here are a couple of links for you as there are no rehabilitators listed on the New Jersey division of fish and wildlife website. I have attached this list in case one of these is in your area as well as a couple of links that for two of the bigger organizations in the state.

http://wildbabyrescue.org/about-wild-baby-rescue-center/

http://www.cedarrun.org

If I have been able to address your concerns satisfactorily please rate me so that the website knows I have been helpful as this is the only way that I can be compensated for my time. Please feel free to let me know if you need additional assistance.

Best of luck to you and the little ones!!!

HI there, I noticed that you have not yet accepted the answer I gave. The question cannot be closed until you rated your experience.

Were you able to get the babies to a wildlife rehabilitator?

Did the parents come back? Do you have further questions? If you have further questions please feel free to let me know.

If I have been able to answer your question satisfactorily, I would appreciate a positive rating so the website knows that I have been helpful as this is the only way I can be compensated for my time. If you have additional questions, concerns or need more clarification, please feel free to ask me.

All the Best,

Dr. Ellie