Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

My 4 month old Pekin duck tried to eat a bungee cord over

Customer Question

My 4 month old Pekin duck tried to eat a bungee cord over night and the hook part was stuck in her tongue. I found her about 6:30 this morning. I was able to remove it and she ran away and tried to remedy herself. We left her alone most of the day and her duck mates stood watch over her. She got her tongue back in her mouth and just held her head down all day. She was drinking a bit and seemed to be eating a little bit. She would get up but was weak. What can I do to help her?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 3 months ago.

Do you have pain medication for her? Or antibiotics? Has her injury been evaluated by a veterinarian?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No to all. We are new to ducks. I don't know how to help her.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i don't have the funds to call the vet out. She charges $250 just to show up.

The pain can be treated with a medication called meloxicam but unfortunately this and antibiotics are available by prescription only. Under ideal circumstances, I would recommend a veterinary exam right way, however since we rarely liver under ideal circumstances (I know I don't), since she seems to be eating and drinking and at least getting by for now, I recommend evaluation as soon as you can make it happen tomorrow. If it is too much to call a vet out then I would urge you to take her in as this may be more cost effective for you. By calling around you may be able to fine a vet in your area that either specializes in birds or is willing to do some research for you. I can help you look for a vet in your area that may be able to help you if you can tell me where you are located.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm in novato, ca.
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 2 months ago.

The Bay Area Bird Hospital is located in San Francisco. Their phone number is(###) ###-#### ***** looks like it is a little bit of a drive to you but they specialize in birds and will know how to best treat your duck. They are open now, so I recommend giving them a call and letting them know what is going on with your due and they can get you scheduled.