Rebecca, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  veterinarian since 1985

I have a mockingbird that has been in my care

Customer Question

i have a young mockingbird that has been in my care for several weeks.everything had been going fine until a couple hours ago.first he limped now appears paralyved in legs and feet.he still eats and drinksbut this was the day i thought he would possibly fly away.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Mockingbird. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How long have you had him? What have you been feeding him?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

The most common reason for hand raised birds to develop limping, weakness in the legs, and then not to be able to walk is metabolic bone disease caused by a diet with too little calcium and phosphorus. The bones as they grow become weak, and rubbery. Not being able to walk is often the first thing noticed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
about 15 to 20 days.amixture of dried blood worms crushed dog kibble and hard boiled eggs.after a few days it was that and mealy worms,live.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
crushed eggshell has also been part of his diet.he went from short flights and running around to total immobilezation in under a minute
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Good that there is crushed eggshell in your food. This is less likely to be metabolic bone disease then.

Still, it has to be on the list because the symptoms are what you see. Other possibilities are parasites, or some neurologic infection/condition.

Sick birds are fragile and hard to treat. Birds like mockingbirds are federally protected; the only ones legally allowed to care for and treat them are licensed bird rehab specialists. I am a veterinarian, and cannot legally treat them; I have to send them to my local wild bird rescue. Contacting your local wild bird rescue and having the experts there check him out would be best. Where do you live? I can search for the closest bird rehabilitator in your area.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
clemson sc.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

How close is Greeneville?

This is the list for all of South Carolina: