Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

My 16 year old Congo African Grey 4 eggs since 7/1/16 and

Customer Question

My 16 year old Congo African Grey laid 4 eggs since 7/1/16 and has gotten pretty aggressive and is only interested in sitting on them and barely eating ... what do I do?? I waited the 21 days as suggested but nothing has changed and I am getting worried about her .
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Typical incubation time in African Greys is 28-30 days with some variation for hatching of the chicks based on when their egg was laid in relation to the rest of the clutch. If she is only 21 day in then there is at least another week or more to go before we can say that the eggs are at maturity and should be hatching. The aggressive behavior you describe is referred to "broodiness" and a female exhibiting this behavior is said to be "broody". It is not uncommon for a female to focus on incubating and protecting her eggs or chicks but since she has lost weight, I recommend a veterinary exam to rule out other causes of weight loss. Additionally, a proper diet is important during this time. She should be eating a high quality pelleted diet with fresh fruits and veggies and may need a calcium supplement.

But if i can have a little more information about your bird and the situation will help me to advise you appropriately. Please forgive me if these questions seem simple, I do not know your situation and I am just trying to make sure that we re not missing s big part of the picture. Have you candled the eggs to make sure they are fertile? Was this a planned clutch? Has she or the male had a successful clutch before? Is she on an adequate diet for reproduction? Are the eggs in a proper nesting place?

If you need to remove the eggs to candle them to look for a chick, you can take a piece of PVC pipe that is wide enough to put your arm through and cut one side at a 45 degree angle. By slipping this over the egg, you can grab it safely without risking injury to your self or your bird. You can then use this same technique to replace the egg once you are done doing what you need to do. If the eggs are infertile, they should be removed and her behavior should return to normal within a few days. If not, then she should be examined by an avian veterinarian to make sure that there are no underlying metabolic issues.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I noticed that you requested a phone call and unfortunately I am unable to call you at this time but I am happy to stay online and assist you in any way that I can via this chat thread. If you want me to opt out to make your question available to another expert in case someone is available to call you I will do that. Otherwise, I am happy to answer any further questions you have if you reply to this message at your convenience.

Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 6 months ago.

I noticed that you have not replied to my last message and that this question is still open. If you have additional questions for me or would like another expert to call you please let me know.

If I have been able to answer your question satisfactorily, I would appreciate a positive rating so the website knows that I have been helpful as this is the only way I can be compensated for my time. If you have additional questions, concerns or need more clarification, please feel free to ask me.

All the Best,

Dr. Ellie