Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

We have a 14-week old bellied caique. We just got home and

Customer Question

We have a 14-week old white bellied caique. We just got home and he began to throw up what looking like liquid-like chunky peanut butter.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the bird eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that we are aware of.
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: Yawkey.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Yawkey?
Customer: We just finished weaning him this week, but he has had no problems eating pellet food and fruits and vegetables.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He had been asleep in his cardboard box and when we came home we woke him up.
Expert:  Dr. Gregg replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Gregg. I will try to help you tonight. Some times recently weaned birds will regurgitate. The fact it is "chunky" would make me want to check some of the crop fluid under the microscope to look for yeast, as well as abnormal bacteria. This is a quick and simple test I would recommend you have done just to be safe. If it is a crop infection, it is fairly straight foreward to treat

I hope that answers your question. If not I am happy to field any other questions you may have.