Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We have a duck that has either an infection or a broke foot.

Customer Question

We have a duck that has either an infection or a broke foot. It is in the joint right above her foot. I have been researching as what to do for it and what I have found is that more than likely it is an infection. We initially thought it was broke, we splinted it, got a small pool and made her swim in it and wrapped it with epson salt but it hasn't gotten any better. Where we live the nearest vet that will see it is 3 hours away. We took the duck in as a rescue. If you have any ideas, please let me know.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the bird can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the bird's name?
Customer: It doesn't have a name. Lol
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?
Customer: no maam
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Unless proven otherwise, a lame duck is suffering from an infectious synovitis (bacterial joint infection) in the great majority of cases. Ideally, an avian vet will tap out a small amount of joint fluid and culture it in order to determine which bacteria are present and the very best antibiotic to prescribe. I understand your logistical constraints, however. I would go to your local feed store/tractor supply or secure online Tylan-50 - an injectable solution of 50 mg/ml tylosin. Because you'll need to administer it for 3-6 weeks (at least) daily intramuscular injections should be avoided if only because of the inflammation and pain that would arise after so many injections; instead, give the injectable solution orally directly into your duck's mouth once daily at a dose of 20-30 mg/lb. If the infection is susceptible to tylosin you should see a noticeable improvement within the inital 2 weeks of dosing. Avoid placing the antibiotic in your duck's water. There's no manner in which to know how much it would be receiving when dosed that route.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.