Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

I'm a trauma/critical care nurse with a 6 lb pekin duck with

Customer Question

Hi. I'm a trauma/critical care nurse with a 6 lb pekin duck with a hit, swollen, tender leg. Maybe a hint of redness. This is not extreme at all, but want to treat for osteomyelitis until I can get him into my avian vet. Just wanted another medical professional to check my dosage calculation for clindamycin. I'm going with 100mg/kg, which is a pigeon dose, vs one duck dose I saw of 150 mg/kg. Thought I'd err on the low side. I come up with 270 mg SID. I'm always nervous with birds, since they often require much larger dosed than humans. I have 150 mg capsules I plan to divide and put into a treat.
Do you mind just checking my dosage calculation, please? Thanks
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 3 months ago.

Sorry to hear about your duck. I hope that he comes through this ok. The dose I have for clindamycin in a duck is 100mg/kg. At 6lb, that makes 2.7kg so 270mg once daily is correct. However, alternatively to make the math easier, you can round the weight up to 3kg and use 50mg/kg twice daily (one of the avian specialists I've consulted with in the past uses this dose), thus 1 of your 150mg capsules twice daily will suffice. OR...(cause there are not enough options out there already, lol) you could round up and up, make the math easier on yourself and do 300mg once daily (2 capsules) that saves you from splitting the capsules and possibly underdosing him.

I presume this is in a non-food bird? There are withdrawal times that need to be adhered to when using antibiotics in food producing animals. If he is a pet, no need to worry about withdrawal- if he is intended for food, then I can let you know the withdrawal time for clinda in poultry. Good luck! Osteomyelitis is terrible in ducks. Hope he survives.

If I have been able to answer your question satisfactorily, I would appreciate a positive rating so the website knows that I have been helpful as this is the only way I can be compensated for my time. If you have further questions and want to discuss your pet’s condition further please feel free to let me know. I would love an update on your little fella also.

All the Best,

Dr. Ellie