Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

I am having a problem with bumblefoot in 3 of my chickens. I

Customer Question

Hello, I am having a problem with bumblefoot in 3 of my chickens. I brought the worst case to see the vet. We had treated one case by cutting the bumble kernals away, cleaning wound, and bandaging for nearly 2 weeks. We thought we had it cleared up. Her feet looked good for several weeks. I got an unjury was unable to tend to the chickens for 2 weeks and my husband was feeding them etc in my place. When I got back out there, her bumbles were back and large and another bird had a small one on each foot. Anyway, the first bird was badly infected. We operated again because the vet couldn't see her for 1 1/2 weeks. We got a lot of infection out but there was still some present so we had her looked at.
I talked about it still being infected and needing an anti-biotic. The vet talked about an oral or a topical prescription. I thought she was talking anti-biotic. So I was treating what has turned into 3 chickens with this prescription. They each get a daily Epsom foot soak to soften, followed by an anti-septic scrub, an application of the prescription, and a fresh bandaging. The prescription is like applying eye drops and was not keeping the wound soft and moist and I was seeing no improvement. So I began adding a little anti-biotic ointment as well.
since things seem to be getting worse instead of better I googled the prescription - synotic. a corticosteroid. Inflamation was not the issue. Infection was. Now my vet is not returning my calls and my birds need help. I know TSC carries otc antibiotics for chickens but want to know I am using the right thing. will an oral help clear infection in the foot along with the ointment I am using right now? So angry that I was giving a steroid to an infected bird. :(
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am very sorry to see that you had been given a steroid for this situation. In any case, it looks like you have been doing a good job otherwise. So, we do want to keep up on all you have done and would hope that by removing the immune suppressing effects of the steroid, we will start to get some ground on this.

Otherwise, I agree that we do need to use an antibiotic here. The topical ones are fine but we would want to add an oral/systemic one as well to help try to treat this from the inside out. In regards ***** ***** options, you can check your local farm supply for Lincomycin (oral, injectable), Amoxicillin, or Penicillin G (injectable). Otherwise (or if we had no response to one of those), we'd want the vet to send a sample of the discharge from the tissue to the lab for culture/sensitivity to identify the species of bacteria present and what drugs it is vulnerable. Though hopefully it won't come to that.

Overall, you have been very thorough here but the steroids would have countered the good and suppressed the immune system from clearing this. So, its good it has been stopped and one of the above would be our next step here.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )