Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

A question from Norway here (sorry if it's bad English).

Customer Question

hi.. a question from Norway here (sorry if it's bad English).
have a goose in two months, it has suddenly got big problems with balansen..den can hardly walk or stand upright. but it seems that it get better when I put it in the swimming pool, there it manages to stretch the wings and swim.
it eats well, do you know what's wrong with it? and is there anything I can give it and maybe get well?
kristin
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Has the goose had any access to chemicals, toxins, moldy foods, or dangerous plants?

Does he just seem wobbly with poor balance? Or does he favor any leg?

Any lumps or wounds on his feet?

Any swellings, sores or areas of instability on his legs?

What is in the mixture the vet gave?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the goose is living in my bathroom and have a private patio with pool .it can go in and out as it will. it may have gotten in a little soapy water when I take a shower..det is al.
it has no favorit leg to stand on. it stands up so lose the balance, it looks almost like it did not manage to get the upper body in the correct position, the tail hangs down and narrows the throat and leans forward when it takes a step. goose has no sores or lumps on the legs..I do not know what the mixture is called.the vet just mixed a syringe which I got with me ..
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that there isn't any risk of toxicity for Jessy.

Still for him to be wobbly without favoring either leg or any leg changes, we'd be most concerned that this is a spinal, nerve, or brain issue. This could be related to head trauma, a brain bleed, swelling, parasitic cyst, or infection (ie bacteria, viral, protozoal).

In this case, we'd want to monitor him closely but if there is no label on that medication, then you need to phone his vet about what this is. Otherwise, we'd want Jessy on a broad spectrum antibiotic (to rule out bacteria) and a goose safe anti-inflammatory (to counter inflammation, swelling and any bleeds present). These will let us treat the most treatable of our concerns and give us the best chance of helping these signs settle. Otherwise, the local vet may need to refer him to an avian specialist for further testing to determine if those other causes are present, so that we can treat them for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.
Hi Kristin,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jessy. How is everything going?

Dr. B.