Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

She lost a lot of weight. She seemed fine a couple days ago.

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name?
Customer: NA
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Na?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How old is she?

How long has she been unwell? What other signs are you seeing?

Any diarrhea or appetite loss?

Does she appear to be breathing quicker then usual?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She is a little over a year.
Her only poop (I left her in a box till I got a sample) is just clear
She isn't eating at all that I can tell.
I read I should feed her honey or sugar water till she get over feeling bad, while giving her stuff to get rid of worms. I would like to give antibiotics as well just in case, but I need prescription for those. I lost my other white goose like her to something, during the day. But that was months ago so it should be depression. I have a total of three geese shouldn't I have even numbers as well?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I have to note that a vet is legally required to physically examine a bird in person to be able to write a prescription. So, if you aren't keen to see if your local farm supply carries an acceptable antibiotic (ie Penicillin, Tetracycline, Tylosin), then you would have to have this lass seen by your local vet at this stage. And I'd note the number of geese is not nearly as important as a balanced happy group and the birds' health (so no new birds until this is settled and a 2 weeks quarantine before adding anymore).

Otherwise, further to what you have told me, if she is anorexic this will be causing the weight loss. Bacterial infectious could be to blame but we can see this secondary to systemic illness, organ issues, tumors, and obstructions of the gut (from things she ate, worms, etc). And if it is sudden, the latter are more likely here. So, a check up in general to pinpoint which issue is present is highly advisable.

Now since she isn't keen to eat, then you do want to tempt her with herr favorite foods. You can also get Nutrical paste to supplement her diet (either mixed in food, water, or via syringe) which will provide extra calories or nutrition. Offer fresh foods, high in nutrition and water content like cucumbers, Romaine, grapes, melon, oranges, etc. Hard boiled eggs mashed shell and all are extremely nutritious and delicious to birds. Cous cous, oatmeal, and brown rice is good for them too. Otherwise, honey gives a short term boost but it would be better to carefully syringe feed a handfeeding paste with handfeeding powder (ie Nupreen Hand Feeding Formula) made iwth an electrolyte solution.

As well, to keep her hydrated, monitor her water intake (which should be about ½ a cup daily) and her for signs of dehydration (skin tentng or sunken eyes).To maintain her hydration, in a drinking bird, you can offer water with electrolytes instead of plain water. There are readily available electrolyte solutions available on the market (ie. Vi-tal) or you can use Pedialyte or diluted Gatorade (diluted 50/50 with water).

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at:

AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/),

Avian web (http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm),

Lafeber database (http://lafeber.com/pet-birds/find-an-avian-vet/) or Birdsnway (http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did you see the attached photo of her head? She is thin, but her eyes look fine, for now. I am looking for a syringe right now but am not finding one. I'll mix her up some gateraid from some power I have and get to the supply store when they open.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

I did but there wasn't anything clinically significant to touch on there. So, we need to work on breaking that fast. So, you can use Gatoraid until they are open, but make sure you dilute it 50% strength for her so that its more balanced.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The wife just reminded me I put bug be gone on the grass they graze, I didn't see them eating it we watered an hour after.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

Its quite possible that could cause these sudden signs. Still, the above supportive care would be our treatment plan of choice at the moment as the body flushes this out. Or you could have her seen for fluids. As well, you may wish to hold off on any antibiotics since that would not be of benefit here.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also, one of the other birds has very watery stool, I can see the chewed up "layer feed" I got from Bomgarrs. I might bring that to the vet to have it checked for worms. So, I should, 1)give gateraid water, 2)deworm 3)OTC antibotics 4) get some charcoal in them? Cover all the bases?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did I mention the white one can't stay upright when walking and falls over like one of those fainting goats?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

You could certainly do that to ensure there is nothing else moving through the flock.

If it is weak, not eating, and potentially poisoned, then wobbliness isn't expected.

Though in regards ***** ***** treatment plan, the Gatoraid tonight and then a more appropriate electrolyte (ie Vit-al) tomorrow once shops are open. You can also tempt to eat as we discuss, worm, and charcoal (1-4g per pound of their weight every 8 hours) is fine to try. But as this is sounding less and less like a bacterial infection, you don't need to rush to start antibiotics.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They are open today. Just not untill 10. I also read that too much protein can cause the symptoms, but only one goose is showing it, so I wasnt thinking it was the food, but they are different breeds. I sent a picture because I just don't know.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

This doesn't look to be a protein related issue, so supportive care is best until they are open to check her.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can't find charcoal. Can I just powerize brisket that don't have any fuels?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

I am away for the evening now, but a quick note since you cannot use that. Activated charcoal from the farm supply shop, ER vet, or local pharmacy only. Else we need to skip it.

Take care,

Dr B

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.