Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian

A breasted, royal blue, Swallow made s nest in the lower

Customer Question

A white breasted, royal blue, Swallow made his nest in the lower part of our mailbox.
there are 4 baby chicks, 3 of the chicks appear to be healthy and 1 is very small and does not look healthy.
I have not seen the parents in 2 or 3 days.
What should I do if anything?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 3 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your question today. Honestly, the best thing is to leave them be. If 3 of them appear healthy, the parents likely have been there feeding them. Sometimes a few chicks may fail to thrive and don't survive due to any number of reasons- and this may be the case with the smaller one. The healthy chicks best chance of survival is to continue being cared for by the parents.

The other option is to contact a local licensed wildlife rehabilitator and let them know about the situation. They may be able to take the chicks and provide proper care until they are ready to be released. You can google avian rehabilitators in your area, or call local veterinarians to see if they have contact info for one.

I hope this has helped- thank you for taking the initiative and being concerned for them! Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Did you have any other questions for me? I'm about to sign off for the night :)

How did it go with the baby birds?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Rebekah Kane

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen. Thank you!