Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds

My bird, a goffin cockatoo, caught s foot on something in s

Customer Question

My bird, a goffin cockatoo, caught his foot on something in his cage and cut one of his left toes. I stopped the bleeding with styptic powder, but I want to know how I can tell if it is broken. And also do I need to put anything on the cut to prevent him from getting an infection?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Jabber. Is the digit broken? That is the unknown. It is good that there is no obvious deformity there. If there was, then a dislocation or fracture would be very suspect. In all honesty, the way an owner knows at home if it is broken is to see if it gets back to normal use in a few days or so. Most of the time with soft tissue injuries (cuts), they will progressively become more weight bearing on the leg in the first couple days and back to normal in a week. There really isn't anything you can do or feel to see if it is or isn't broken - an X-ray is needed for this. As far as putting something on it, really the best thing is to keep it clean and dry. Anything put on it will be licked off by him and bring his attention to it.