Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.

My 13 yr old female Eclectus appears dehydrated. She also

Customer Question

My 13 yr old female Eclectus appears dehydrated. She also seems thinner than normal. Her water bottle was empty and apparently leaked. This could have been empty from yesterday. What can I do. I have her in a broader and she drank some electrolyte water. She took a few sips of hand feeding formula, but not much. I know how to tube feed. Should I give her formula that way made with the electrolyte water or leave her alone and let her sleep a little in the broader? How warm should I keep it?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Poor Rosie!

First, I have to note that if she seems thin, this raises concerns of other issues afoot besides the leaked water bottle. So, we need to tread with care and a check up would be best to head off any other weight loss inducing complications (ie systemic disease, organs troubles, etc). That said, if she is quite dehydrated and not keen to drink on her own (try flavouring her water with a bit of low sugar fruit juice), you could carefully tube feed, hand feed, or even try getting her to eat foods that are high in water like cucumbers, apple, orange, and you can even give a bit of lettuce. These all will get fluid into her even if she isn't keen to drink. Of course, if you notice any diarrhea, appetite loss as well, or she is quite thin, then again a full check up would be safest for her.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at:

AAV (, Avian web (, Lafeber database ( or Birdsnway (

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )