Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

The bird has got stools that are moss. He is a budgie and he

Customer Question

The bird has got stools that are moss green. He is a budgie and he has been prescribed baytril to be placed diluted into water. However he is not touching the water.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is very young (still has a purple cere) I would hazard a guess and say 4 months. His stools are not shaped normally, they are long and thin
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nome?
Customer: His friend Lapis died a few days ago.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Nemo. If the green portion of his droppings is now paler than usual, maldigestion due to Macrorhabdus (a large yeast common in budgies) or other gastrointestinal diseases should be considered. If his normally white urates are now green, hepatic disease should be considered. A microscopic fecal exam plus bacterial culture and sensitive of his droppings should be considered. Antibiotics should not be placed in his drinking water if for the only reason a sick bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly. Baytril is reasonable but it needs to be droppered directly into Nemo's beak. Lapis dying so soon ago suggests an infectious agent. If Nemo hasn't seen a specialist avian vet it would be prudent to have that done. Perhaps you can find one near you through this site: www.theparrotsocietyuk.org/veterinaryadvice/avian-vets/ Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.