Dr. Laurie
Dr. Laurie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship trained small animal veterinarian
40350296

Found my female bird lying on the floor of the platform in

Customer Question

Found my female bird lying on the floor of the platform in the cage she usually sleeps on, but on her tummy half on her side instead of her usual standing position, might be breathing heavily, and stumbling when walking using her beak to crawl along. She had been laying eggs earlier I wonder if one is stuck or some other issue. She seemed fine yesterday.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Laurie replied 5 months ago.

Hello, My name is***** and I will try to help you with your question. I am very sorry to hear that Happy is not acting right. It sounds to me like this is an emergency. Any time a bird shows us on the outside that something is wrong then it is pretty serious because for the most part birds are really good at hiding it when they are sick. As you mentioned that she was previously laying eggs it is possible that one could be stuck and that she could be “egg bound” or it could be possible that if there is an egg stuck it could have broken open. When this happens a bird can get a condition called egg yolk peritonitis which can cause some of the symptoms you were describing like respiratory distress and weakness. I know you are offline now but once you read this if you haven’t taken Happy to the vet yet I would take her right away as this can be very serious whatever the cause is. Good luck!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for your response- the avian specialist is not available in my area until Sunday, but the general animal hospital ED is open with general vets, not the avian specialist. my bird improved a little overnight after I gave her some water and millet. however still lethargic. any thoughts on waiting until Sunday for specialist vs going to the general ED Hardy? thank you.

I am sorry that I was not able to get back to you. I did not have access to my computer over this holiday weekend. Now that Sunday has come and gone I hope she has been seen and is doing better.