Dr. M. Brink
Dr. M. Brink, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) and BSc (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology)
94581128

I just found a Red crowned parrot on the ground. I have not

Customer Question

I just found a Red crowned parrot on the ground. I have not checked him but he seems unable to fly. I captured him and put him in a large trash can. I did this because there are many feral cats in our neighborhood. I gave him water and 2 blueberries, 2 blackberries and a slice of apricot. These parrots fly all over my area and the fact he was on the ground and did not fly away tells me he is sick. What do you suggest I do with him until I take him to a vet tomorrow?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bird?
Customer: Not sure. Found him sitting on a rock on the ground. He did not want to fly so I was afraid for his safety.
JA: Where does the bird seem to hurt?
Customer: I don't know. He just did not want to fly. Wings seem fine are are retracted. He did flex them when I put my hand in the trash can.
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the bird eating normally?
Customer: Don't know. He did not eat the apricot, 2 blueberries nor the blackberries. He is wild.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird? OK, abnormal eating.
Customer: He just seems ill because he is wild and found on the ground.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. M. Brink replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Brink! I will do my best to help you with the wild parrot that you found.

Are you certain that it is a wild bird and not one with clipped flight feathers?

Either way, when an animal is found without any identification on it, the appropriate thing to do is offer food and water (which you have done! Good work!) and then you should call your local Animal Control Officers. They need to come and pick up the animal and then get it whatever care it needs.

Please let me know if you have any further questions that I can help with! If this is all, I would appreciate you rating my reply. I wish you all the best with this bird. Thank you for stopping to help it, the world needs more people like you!