Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.

It's been 3 days now and this bird,sparrow or blue jay not

Customer Question

It's been 3 days now and this bird,sparrow or blue jay not sure what it is. A cat had it when it saw me it dropped the bird, so I raped it in paper and put it in my car, I thought the bird was dead, I would throw it in the trash but I was late for work and forgot the bird. To my surprise when I got off work this bird' head was up asking to be food. I took it home and found out what to feed, so I gave it food. And Now three days later the bird is striving. I know I can't keep by law. Where can I take it. I live Compton,ca
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about this poor wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

In regards ***** ***** question, you are correct that you cannot keep this wee one. Especially if you are sure what species it is and thus cannot ensure it receives the nutrition it needs (as nutritional needs vary heavily in birds). Therefore, it is best to have this little one taken in by your local rehabilitation centre. To find one near you, I would suggest checking these databases

Wildlife International (,
US Wildlife Rehabilitation (,
Wildlife Rehabbers (, or
Wildlife Sanctuaries (

Otherwise, if you have any struggles finding a local rescue for the bird, you can take it to your closest vet. They have a duty of care to wildlife and can take him in for you. Often vet practices do have close ties with local rehabilitation centers and can get birds in even if the public cannot. So, if you have any problems getting him to a rehabilitation center, the local vets would be an option too.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )