Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds

I raised a wild European Starling from birth--she is now 8

Customer Question

I raised a wild European Starling from birth--she is now 8 years old. She has always had bald spots but now she has a yellow crusty spot on top of her head and I don't know what it is or how to get rid of it?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 3 months ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience with a heavy emphasis on caring for birds. I've also been a licensed wildlife rehabilitator who's successfully raised many wild birds. I'm here to help with your question about your starling.
I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.
In the meantime, in order to help me help you better, I'll need some more information. To start with, can you please tell me:

• What is your starling's diet?
  • Is she your only bird?
  • Are you able to upload of a photo of these crusty spots? Please use the paperclip icon.

I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My Starling has a sister who is very healthy and much bigger. They have separate cages as the bigger bird always picked on her. They eat superworms, bread, sprouts, and berries and grapes. They enjoy flying every day as well as taking baths. They both have an extensive wealth of vocabulary and use it non-stop. This crusty yellow scalp appears to be itchy and is very bumpy and raw as she continues to scratch at it. I cannot send you a picture.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 3 months ago.

I just received your reply...

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 3 months ago.

And I apologize but I have to go offline at the moment. I will type in a reply later tonight, but -so you don't have to keep waiting - I will OPT OUT now so another expert is free to pick up your question.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You charged my bank account $34.00 but I never received a reply to my question. I am not in the habit of paying for nothing. I waited more than my 24 hours for my response. I reached out for your advice and all I got was a bill--I guess this is where I am supposed to say thank you for nothing because that's what I got! Sad thing is that my little bird is worse...
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Please cancel this account immediately as I have waited two days with no response . Please send verification that I have canceled this account and my bank account has been credited back $34.00.