Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian
94503255

A cat got in our house and knocked the bird cage on the

Customer Question

A cat got in our house and knocked the bird cage on the floor. The cage fell apart and our canary was on the floor then flew up to the table. We waited for awhile and he flew back downon the floor. We left him there while I reassembled the cage and my husband picked him up and put I'm back in. That was several hours ago and e was puffed up for awhile and he hasn't eaten.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the bird will be able to digest that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is a constant singer. He's 7 and lives in our sunroom.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Caruso?
Customer: He's a very active bird and eats seed and and a frozen mixture I get at Menagerie located in Summerland, I defrost and bring to room temperature before I chop it up for him..
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 5 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay any other pertinent information. Sound good?

Are you available to chat with me through text at this time?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not available at the moment.
I'd like to text you later.

Alright. I wil type up my recommendations for you to read when you are able.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. I've covered Him and he seems better.

It sounds like he had quite a scare!

Covering half of his cage was going to be my first recommendation.

If he is still puffed up and acting lethargic, I would provide some heat in the form of a lamp over the covered part of the cage- about a foot away from the cage. This way if he needs warmth, he can get it, but if too warm, he can move away.

Keep noise levels down, and keep people from going in/out of his room frequently.

Keep his food and water available.

Give him a few hours to just settle down.

Assuming he was not injured during the fall, he should be fine by tomorrow.

If he is not back to himself by tomorrow- he may need to see his veterinarian. But be aware that car rides and veterinary visits are EXTREMELY stressful for canaries, and these birds can often pass away from the stress of a car ride or veterinary visit, especially if already debilitated. If he does need to see the vet, take things really slow and quietly. Keep his cage covered, and have the air conditioner on in the car- but not TOO cold.

I hope he is better by morning- please let me know if you have any other concerns to address.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen. Thank you!

Hi there- just wanted to see how your canary is doing today?