Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

One of my chickens has lost all her head feathers. sally- 2

Customer Question

one of my chickens has lost all her head feathers.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: sally- 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sally?
Customer: free range during the day with 7 other chickens between the ages of 2-4 yrs old. no rooster. not noticed that she is being bullied. she is a barred rock
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Simple molting should be the most important differential diagnosis for loss of head feathers. Chickens molt in a predictable order beginning in the head and neck and progressing down the back, breast, wings, and tail. Are you seeing new pin feathers in the featherless areas? While we expect molting when daylight hours shorten at the end of summer, brooding and environmental factors can also induce a molt.

Can you upload a photo(s) of Sally to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?