Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I manage a nursing home and we have 2 female budgies and 1

Customer Question

Hi pearl, I manage a nursing home and we have 2 female budgies and 1 male. 1 of the budgies already has had 5 babies and we have put them in a large aviary. She now has another 4 eggs but her feathers are coming out around her tummy and also tail.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: I cant remember her name and she is only young. I bought them in December when they were babies from a breeder
JA: How old is And?
Customer: They were only 8-10 weeks old and she immediately started laying eggs.
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help And. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about And?
Customer: No that's it. We feed them broccoli, spinach, millet and honey sticks as well as gum and wattle. She just seems to constantly lay eggs and sit on them.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

The feather loss in your little prolific egg producer is normal. They're used to build nests. Most important at this time is providing a diet very rich in protein and calcium so she can continue to produce eggs and feathers without draining herself of those nutrients. Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. Seeds should compose less than 20% of her diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

There are various methods to curb egg production should that be your wish. Please take a look at this link and scroll down a bit to "Things you can do to discourage / stop your bird from laying eggs". Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.