Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Ure has wheezing and at times appears to be gasping, He is

Customer Question

Ure has wheezing and at times appears to be gasping for breath
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bird?
Customer: He is wheezing and at times gasping to breathe. He has eaten little today and also has lost his voice
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the bird will be able to digest that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: His name is***** and he is 15 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jade Jr?
Customer: He normally will only go to my husband, but today came to me. He is weakened and his coat is dry. He is definitely thinner
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

What type of bird is Jade, please? In general, gasping to breathe indicates severe respiratory compromise and most pet birds doing so are soon lost. If you have an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) available to you, Jade should be attended to by such a vet who will immediately provide supplemental oxygen and an injectable antibiotic in the hopes of stabilizing Jade.